Re: [squid-users] Tuning for very expensive bandwidth links

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:38:09 +0100

On 30/03/2011 19:17, Marcus Kool wrote:
> If your users do not mind, you can block ads and user tracking
> sites of which many produce 1x1 gifs.
> Most ads and tracking codes are not cacheable and may consume a lot.
> This all depends on which sites your users visit of course.

Thanks - got that covered to some extent. So far I was looking at these
two lists for a simple domain blocking system to catch "adverts and
tracking"

        http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
        http://hosts-file.net/

Any other suggestions/comments?

Additionally we will offer the option to do image recompression and
upstream gzip of content (actually probably we will use our own
compressing tunnel across the slow link)

Anyone know of any already written ecap/icap servers I might want to
investigate?

Cheers

Ed W