Re: [squid-users] Re: squid cache prob: won't cache a 'pdf'

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ec.hadorhabaac.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 16:50:01 +0300

On 07/04/2011 16:16, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

>>> ---
>>> But I don't have to log in.
>>>
>>> More importantly, wouldn't setting the 'ignore-private' in the
>>> refresh pattern override that?
>

>> after adding :
>> refresh_pattern -i ^http://www\.lsi\.com/.*AssetMgr\.aspx\?asset.*
>> 4320 70% 10080 override-expire override-lastmod reload-into-ims
>> ignore-reload ignore-no-store ignore-private
>

> Um....quoting from my original note, I have (all on 1 line, no '\'):
>
> refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320 ignore-no-store ignore-no-cache
> ignore-private ignore-auth override-expire reload-into-ims
> Is this what you are referring to by:
>
>> you can use the squid config directive
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/refresh_pattern/
>

> Is there something wrong with the refresh pattern I have?
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to get me to correct or
> trying to get me to read at the above URL.

well i managed to make it being cached using specific rule.
and your rule should do the trick
but look at the difference between our rules:
refresh_pattern -i ^http://www\.lsi\.com/.*AssetMgr\.aspx\?asset.* 4320
70% 10080
                                 leave the address ^^ alone
  refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320 ignore-no-store ignore-no-cache
ignore-private ignore-auth override-expire reload-into-ims
                                 ^
your minimum time that you are using is 0 so you can try it for 2
minutes also in the case you are breaking the http protocols.

i must tell you that a proxy with this kind of settings on the "."
pattern can lead to a lot of troubles for the users.
so for for problematic sites that do not allow or want to be cached you
dont need to make your whole server a mess of wrong refresh patterns.

it's my line of thinking and it can also be a bug in the squid server
but i did mange to cache the file using the 3.2.0.5.
and i think that also the older versions will do the trick on this
specific case.

i have couple(more then you can think) of sites i made a specific
refresh patterns because they were worth it...

Regards
Eliezer