Re: [squid-users] squid in sneakernet/Delay-tolerant network

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:03:06 +1200

On 15/04/11 09:40, Tom Sparks wrote:
> I have a computer that has not network or internet connection
>
> Can I use squid in a sneakernet/Delay-tolerant network?

Squid is usually limited by Human delay tolerance. Which is somewhere
between 5 seconds and 15 minutes. The particular network actions all
have related *_timeout settings which an be extended by very large amounts.

The military guys were asking for this last year to avoid loading
satellite links with entertainment media for the troops. A sneaker net
passing pre-filled cache_dir of files around which plug-n-play into a proxy.

Can be done, but with a few limitations:
  * requires proxies on all installs can handle the cache_dir format and
not confuse each other.
  * requires that the content has longer storage max-age times than the
sneaker net takes to transfer the drives. (true of any link really, but
very noticeable here).
  * requires a proxy reconfigure as part of each plug-n-play action.

Revalidation via the real network as a "background" channel may or may
not be possible depending on your circumstances to enhance the
sneakernet reliability.

Using it for a single computer on a home LAN or such is not really worth
the trouble. A huge amount of web content is dynamic and simply
inaccessible without some form of live connection.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.6