[squid-users] Re: Accelerating Proxy options?

From: Linda Walsh <squid-user_at_tlinx.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:11:31 -0700

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:31:38 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> Picture this: I (on a client sys) pull in a web page. At same time
>> I get it, it's handed over to a separate process running on a separate
>> core
>
> read -> copy to reader thread buffer -> copy to processing thread buffer
> -> copy to result output buffer (maybe) -> coy to writer thread buffer
> -> write.
>
> 2x slowdown *on top of* the above processing scan lags. This exact case
> of multiple copying is one of two reasons we do not have threading in
> Squid.

----
	I think you are missing an important point (maybe?)
	The current fetch would stay as is.  I.e go str8 to client --
only after sent to client would a copy be sent off to the 'prefetcher',
so at worst, prefetcher does it's scan and finds out stuff is already
fetched by client-requests, but in best case, prefetcher would do it's
parsing before the client asked for the page-reqs and they would,
theoretically, already be 'in process' of being fetched.
>>   Anyway, just some wonderings...
>>     What will it take for Sq3 to get to the feature level of Sq2 and
>> allow,
>
> What we are missing in a big way is store-URL and location-URL re-writers.
===
I'm so out of it, I don't even know that terminology -- I could 'guess',
like maybe 1) being rewriting the URL of content stored in the cache to
be more easily reusable, and 2) same as 1, but hmmm...rewriting requests
from clients?...  Ah heck...I'm probably writing out my toes again...
(like speaking out some wrong orifice, but for writing v. speaking! ;-)).
Oh well nevermind...my floor is covered with drippings from overflowing plate.
**slog**
> I've had a handful of people stick their hands up to do this over the
> last year or two. Pointed them at the squid-2 patches which need
> adjusting to compile and work in squid-3 code. Never to hear from them
> again. :(
---
	Sigh...probably mean well, but when they get in there, they find
they are way over their heads...or at least alot more work than they
thought it'd be...  not that I don't run into that many times in trying
to change something or other on OpnSrc sw...geez...
	Hardly anything is just simple anymore...
	My home network is held together with bailing wire and duct tape
and even then it's unstable in weird ways.