Re: [squid-users] I would like to use Squid for caching but it is imperative that all files be cached.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:32:18 +1200

On 22/04/11 04:57, Sheridan "Dan" Small wrote:
> First I will explain what I am trying to do.
>
> I have a number of tests (executables and scripts) which run on
> resources downloaded via HTTP, FTP etc. Some of these tests are third
> party compiled executables which would be problematic to change. The
> resources can potentially be any type of file and have different file
> extensions. Some URLs for these files have query strings. Tests can
> download resources in any order, there is no way to tell which test will
> download any given file first. I have no control at all over the
> resources tested. The tests run on a server which is used for nothing
> else but running these tests (no human web browsing). It is imperative
> that all tests are run on identical files for each URL. If the file
> changes the tests will be inconsistent.

As I read that it appears that your tests are fatally broken.

Abusing real live content and warping the traffic behaviour *breaks* its
reliability. Using the resulting unreliable traffic for testing will
pass that breakage right back up to the test results.

> Therefore it is imperative that all files be cached regardless of
> anything. I would like to use Squid for this caching. The only things

No. It is imperative that the tests run on the correct content. Dynamic
content *cannot* be tested this way. Static content has cache controls
to correctly cached without any intervention on your part.

> that should not be cached are HTTP response codes Internal Error 500,
> Service temporarily overloaded 502 and suchlike, where it is better to
> have some tests run rather than none in the case of a temporary server
> error. I guess it would be to much to ask to be able to cache over HTTPS.

What are your tests testing and what scenarios would they be run under?
(ie are they a test suite for some internal work or public tests like
CPAN have that can be run from anywhere online?)

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1