Re: Res: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:31:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, david_at_lang.hm wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
>> On 04/14/2011 09:06 PM, david_at_lang.hm wrote:
>>
>>> In addition, there seems to be some sort of locking betwen the multiple
>>> worker processes in 3.2 when checking the ACLs
>>
>> There are pretty much no locks in the current official SMP code. This
>> will change as we start adding shared caches in a week or so, but even
>> then the ACLs will remain lock-free. There could be some internal
>> locking in the 3rd-party libraries used by ACLs (regex and such), but I
>> do not know much about them.
>
> what are the 3rd party libraries that I would be using?

one thought I had is that this could be locking on name lookups. how hard
would it be to create a quick patch that would bypass the name lookups
entirely and only do the lookups by IP.

if that regains the speed and/or scalability it would point fingers fairly
conclusively at the DNS components.

this is the only think that I can think of that should be shared between
multiple workers processing ACLs

David Lang