[squid-users] Problem regarding Basic Authentication

From: Lorenzo Maffeo <maffo999_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:10:05 +0200

Hello everybody,
I'm trying to run a small Squid proxy server on my home network and I
would like to use authentication on it.
I decided to start by using the basic authentication method and maybe
later i'd like to switch to MySQL.
Now the problem is this: my proxy never asks users for authentication.
I added the following lines to my /etc/squid/squid.conf

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/passwd
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy server by maffo
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

and finally I proceeded to create the password files issuing the
following command (as root): htpasswd -c /etc/squid/passwd test (just
to create a test user) and i gave him the password 'test'.
Now, the passwd file is correctly populated but Squid still doesn't
ask for user/password.
If I try to run "/usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/passwd" and send
in input 'test:test' it always return ERR.
Can anybody help me please?