AW: AW: AW: [squid-users] Does any cache in a proxy chain but the last one need to resolve URLs?

From: Jannis Kafkoulas <jasecml_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:58:26 +0100 (BST)

OK, I see! Thanks very much! ----- Ursprüngliche Mail ---- Von: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> An: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org Gesendet: Freitag, den 29. April 2011, 16:27:23 Uhr Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [squid-users] Does any cache in a proxy chain but the last one need to resolve URLs? On 29/04/11 22:02, Jannis Kafkoulas wrote: > Unfortunately I couldn't find any directives in squid.conf relating to any dns > matter. > But I have an idea why squid has to set up a nslookup: > > We use also ip addresses with acls for destinations. > So if squid receives an URL name it has to get it resolved first in order to be > able to check it against the ip address acl. Um, that would be one of those DNS ACLs you just said you couldn't find. > > So probably we can only do without nslookup if we don't use any ip addresses. > > Does anyone know that? > "src" IP address is given by TCP and fine to check. "dst" IP address requires DNS lookups. > > ----- Ursprüngliche Mail ---- > Von: Amos Jeffries > > On 29/04/11 01:56, Jannis Kafkoulas wrote: >> Of cource Eliezer, thanks a lot! >> >> >> Yes, of course, I mean dns lookup by resolve. >> >> (It has been set up by an external company) >> >> The chain is very simple, just one after the other: >> >> clients (FF) ---> Squid1 (LAN) ----> Squid2 (somewhere in between) ---> >> Squid3 >> (at the Internet) >> >> This chain is being used by the users when accessing the Internet. >> It's the same behaviour for any possible URL. >> I took just a rare one so I could find it easily in the tcpdump output. >> I just checked the squid1 and squid 3 (squid 2 same as squid1). >> Squid one contacts the internal dns server which forwards to the root > servers. >> But the dns answer to the query is not given to the next proxy in the chain, > so >> it's then useless. >> The squid 3 accesses the dns root servers directly and then it forwards the >> http >> request to the final server. >> >> The problem might be that the squid 1 also is being used for internal "direct >> access", i.e without a parent. >> >> My question is now, is it possible for the squid to decide when to use a dns >> lookup? > > Yes. DNS "should" not be needed until the stage of setting up the DIRECT > TCP connection. It sounds like squid1 has some ACLs or such which are > testing DNS things about the request. Find and avoid those and DNS will > go away on the chained requests. > > Amos Amos -- Please be using Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE9 or 3.1.12 Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1