[squid-users] multiple squid confs? && multiple machines, single auth db?

From: errno <errno_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:10:12 -0700

I'll be doing major upgrades to a few of our old systems that are running
older versions of squid (2.5 era). On each of these boxes, we have a
largish number of aliased virt ips. In the past it appeared that squid
needed a separate .conf file for each ip; but we'll be moving to squid
3.1... is it possible to get by with just one squid .conf... one squid
instance for all the ips? Or will I still need one squid.conf per ip?

Also, I'm thinking about using a db for user-authentication rather than
files. If we had about 5 separate squid servers, on various separate
networks and separated geographically; would these servers all be able
to use a single remote db for their authentication? Or does the db
effectively need to be local to the squid server, say, for performance
and/or reliability reasons?

Ok, and I guess one other question; about moving from squid 2.5 to
squid 3.1... can I expect a fairly smooth transition between configuration
directives? Or are there lots of deprecated or changed configuration
directives; meaning it might be best to start fresh rather and try to
start from our existing/old configs?

Thanks!