[squid-users] Re: squid not starting on reboot

From: Troy Piggins <troy_at_piggo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 11:44:48 +1000

* Amos Jeffries wrote :
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:18:10 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
> >I've been having trouble with my server rebooting lately, and trying
> >to get to the bottom of that issue.
> >
> >But what I'm noticing a lot is that squid is not starting
> >automatically on the reboot. The system is Ubuntu Lucid, not
> >compiled from source. Default runlevel is 2, and squid starting
> >script is both in /etc/init.d and sym linked in /etc/rc2.d/S20squid
> >
> >Anyone think of a reason why it won't start? In my very primitive
> >bash knowledge, I wrote a script into /etc/rc.local that I thought
> >would test if it's running, wait and loop until it does start. But
> >even that's not working and the mails aren't getting sent. Doubt
> >this problem is related, could be an error in the script but when I
> >test it manually it seems to work as intended.
> >
> > #!/bin/sh -e
> >
> > ps ax | grep squid | grep -v grep
> > while [ $? -ne 0 ]; do
> > mail -s "squid not started" root < /dev/null
> > service squid start
> > sleep 60
> > ps ax | grep squid | grep -v grep
> > done
> >
> >Any ideas?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/squid/+bug/561779
>
> Upgrade to the package from Maverick.

Thanks mate. Quick reply appreciated. I've actually upgraded to
squid3 instead of 2 with a view to getting clamav incorporated as
well. Not decided on dansguardian vs squidclamav vs squidguard yet,
but noticed that version 3 might be betting in that regard.

Will see if the problem persists next reboot.

--
Troy Piggins