[squid-users] https squid reverse proxy to an http web site

From: Anna K. Hegedus <akh13_at_cnbc.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:14:12 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of an issue that I am trying to resolve with Squid, but I
cannot quite get the hang of things. I was wondering if someone could
help me out or point me in the right direction.

I have a simple piece of hardware that uses a web interface. This
hardware only uses http though, and I would like to make it a bit more
secure. The issue is that all of its internal pages are hard-coded http.
Right now, https and http are working perfectly through Squid on another
side we have, but on this one, whenever I click an http link, the
connection reverts back to an insecure one on port 80. Since there is no
https service on the hardware, I don't think I can just rewrite the URL,
although it would be great if I could.

Is there any way that I can use squid to fix this? So far, most examples
and docs I can see either have an https service listening on the other
side of squid, or they rewrite the urls.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Anna