[squid-users] acl proxy_auth speed

From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr+squid_at_g.jct.ac.il>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 01:59:42 +0300

Hi,
I set up a authenticating proxy, and based on the username I want to
change properties of the connection.
According to the documentation the proxy_auth type acl is slow because
it relies on external helpers, no my question is is it slow only the
first instance that squid meets it (ie. when REQUIRED and therefor
doing the actual authentication) and does squid after that 'know' the
username making it more or less equally fast to other acls or is every
instance of the proxy_auth acl type slow?

ie:
acl auth_users proxy_auth REQUIRED # this is slow.
acl whitelist_users proxy_auth some_dude someoherdude # is this slow?
acl special_users proxy_auth really_special_guy # or is this fast
because by now squid already knows the username?

Thanks,
Eli