[squid-users] regarding your DNS issues

From: Rick Buford <rick.buford_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 08:43:00 -0500

Regarding the discussion at
http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg79611.html

The ipv6 issues you are seeing are related to the hardware load
balancers in place that govern the response to www.carfax.com. They
are not aware of, and do not respond correctly (per RFC) to ipv6
lookups. Part of the problem is on our side, the non-RFC failure to
respond. Part of the issue is on the client side, where the client has
successfully already received a valid ipv4 response, yet waits for 2-3
timeouts of the ipv6 lookup before proceeding. I have confirmed this
using multiple packet captures. The most ideal solution, from our
perspective, is to turn off ipv6 lookups on the client side. Realizing
that this is not likely, we are actively working to solve this issue,
but since we do not currently offer any ipv6 records, it has not
previously been a priority.

Rick, a Carfax network guy

--
“Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you
stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and