RE: [squid-users] squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

From: Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 06:46:31 +0000

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com> wrote:

I like to know how you are able to do >13000 requests/sec.
tcp_fin_timeout is 60 seconds default on all *NIXes and available ephemeral port range is 64K.
I can't do more than 1K requests/sec even with tcp_tw_reuse/tcp_tw_recycle with ab. I get commBind errors due to connections in TIME_WAIT.
Any tuning options suggested for RHEL6 x64?
Jenny

I would have a concern using both those at the same time. reuse and recycle. Reuse a socket, but recycle it, I've seen issues when testing my own linux distro's with both of these settings. Right or wrong that was my experience.
fin_timeout, if you have a good connection, there should be no reason that a system takes 60 seconds to send out a fin. Cut that in half, if not by 2/3's
And what is your limitation at 1K requests/sec, load (if so look at I/O) Network saturation? Maybe I missed an earlier thread and I too would tilt my head at 13K requests sec!
Tory

---

As I mentioned, my limitation is the ephemeral ports tied up with TIME_WAIT.  TIME_WAIT issue is a known factor when you are doing testing.

When you are tuning, you apply options one at a time. tw_reuse/tc_recycle were not used togeter and I had 10 sec fin_timeout which made no difference.

Jenny

nb: i still dont know how to do indenting/quoting with this hotmail... after 10 years.