Re: [squid-users] Squid looking for itself in an array?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:30:18 +1200

 On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:32:27 -0500, Brent Norris wrote:
> I am running squid-3.1.11-1 and it keeps locking up on me. When I
> then tell squid to restart using the init.d scripts it floods the
> logs
> with messages like this:
>
> 1308587241.668 24741 10.76.16.15 TCP_MISS/502 74187 GET
> http://10.76.16.15:8089/array.dll? - DIRECT/10.76.16.15 text/html
>
> which the squid machines ip address is 10.76.16.15
>
> I was experiencing this behavior in any release prior to 3.1 and I am
> still using my config from those prior versions, but I have looked at
> the default config that comes with the package and I didn't see
> anything that stood out as the reason it would be doing this.
>
> Can anyone give me a clue to what I need to look at? I would like to
> stay up on these newer versions but I can't get around this error.
>
> Brent

 Malware causing forwarding loops. access.log entries only occur *after*
 the completion of a request.

 This vulnerability is a side effect of removing the HTTP protocol Via:
 header. You can catch such requests early by erasing the "via" or
 "x_forwarded_for" from your 3.1 config. The defaults are to use loop
 protection.

 If this is an interception proxy make sure you also have firewall
 protection preventing visitors from directly connecting to the squid
 listening NAT/"intercept" port.

 Or, you can use the "deny to_localhost" security access control next to
 your "deny !Safe_ports" one. You may need to add the Squid box public IP
 to the list of prohibited localhost IPs.

 Amos