Re: [squid-users] Migrating from iPlanet Web Proxy Server

From: Marcin J. Kraszewski <marcin_at_ncf.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 12:24:25 -0400

Hi, Kinkie

----- Original Message -----
From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:05 am
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Migrating from iPlanet Web Proxy Server

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Marcin J. Kraszewski
> <marcin_at_ncf.ca> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I will be getting rid of an old version of iPlanet Web Proxy
> Server. I
> > would like to replace it with squid. I don't have any experience
> with> squid, so here are a few questions regarding its capabilities.
> >
> > I need to do the following:
> >
> > . limit access to documents or sites based on individual users,
> groups,> IP addresses, host names or wild card expressions
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/HelpOnAccessControlLists
>
> > . route traffic to appropriate web site or proxy server
>
> Routing to web site is a basic operation, no need for special config
> For proxy-to-proxy routing, you can see
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheHierarchy
> or more in general
> http://wiki.squid-
> cache.org/?
action=fullsearch&context=180&value=cache_peer&fullsearch=Text

Thank you very much for all the links, they are very helpful.

> > . filter objectionable URLs and content, including viruses, HTML
> tags> and ActixeX content
>
> You need an ICAP service for that. There are many commercial and some
> free offerings for that.

But squid supports ICAP in the current version, doesn't it?

> > . reduce network traffic by caching
>
> Basic built-in feature.
>
> > I have three networks separated by a firewall running HTTP Proxy.
> > Traffic from each of the networks goes through that firewall and
> then> is chained to the DMZ Proxy Server (squid) before being
> routed to the
> > appropriate web server (no Internet access).
> >
> > Is squid a good match for this project? Thank you very much for your
> > input.
>
> I don't know if I'd run a proxy on the firewall, but if it fits your
> performance needs, certainly.

I don't have that many users, so performance is fine.

> Are you running a transparent proxy or is it just hosted on the same
> machine as the firewall?

There is an HTTP proxy on the firewall which is a transparent one, and
then I have the DMZ proxy, where I would like to use squid. It will be
a dedicated server (as the iPlanet is right now).

> --
>     /kinkie

Thank you for your help.

Regards