Re: [squid-users] Unix Domain Sockets

From: Chris Conlon <conlon_at_yassl.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:36:45 -0600

Hi Amos,

On Jul 13, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:06:10 -0600, Chris Conlon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to configure Squid to use unix
>> domain sockets for input/output instead of using TCP?
>
> No. Squid is a proxy, for use transferring data _between machines_ where unix sockets do not work.
>
> What are you trying to do that might need this?

Our input and output to/from Squid is coming from applications on the same machine (in order to do processing of the traffic first before it is handed off to Squid), ie:

traffic in -> [ appA -> Squid -> appB ] -> traffic out

where [ ... ] = inside the same machine.

I was wondering about unix domain sockets because we thought it might alleviate some of the load off the TCP stack.

Regards,
Chris