Re: [squid-users] Getting SARG to show usernames instead of IP

From: Alex Crow <alex_at_nanogherkin.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:04:47 +0100

On 20/07/11 17:11, chinner999 wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have SARG running and the reports shows usage per user by ip address. How do I get it to show username instead? The users are using Active Directory.
>
> I don't have Squid configured for any authentication currently.
>
> Ubuntu v10.04
> Sarg v2.2.7.1
> Squid v3.1.6 - transparent
>
> Thanks.

If you had, say, dhcp or Samba setup with dynamic dns at your site you
could get your DNS to reverse-resolve the IP in the logs to a machine or
username.

Not sure about an AD DC but I'm sure it must be possible to have that
update DNS. Then preparse your squid logs to insert the username in the
right place and you could have what you need from SARG.

Alex