Re: [squid-users] Any way to tell squid or prioritize which cache_dir to use?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:46:45 +0200

On 12.07.11 11:35, January Sharp wrote:
>Scenario: cache_dir's are on different types of media and on different
>configurations of hard disks. Also, memory is abundant, so RAM could
>also be mounted as a disk. So the cache_dir's have different
>capacities, read speeds and write speeds.
>
>Is there a way to configure squid to choose more intelligently which
>cache directory to cache the content depending on the content?

it's very hard to decide in such cases. You'd need long-time statistics
to see which driver behave how fast, comparing to their sizes and
average object sizes, so you could guess what objwects to put into what
cache_dir.

I can only advise you not to use memory-based disk, and let OS/squid
use memory for buffers and caching instead

Due to unexpected conditions Windows 2000 will be released
in first quarter of year 1901