Re: [squid-users] RAID0, LVM or JBOD for best performance squid proxy server?

From: Pieter De Wit <pieter_at_insync.za.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 10:00:27 +1200

Hi Roberto,

Each of the systems you mention will only add an extra layer to the
storage solution. Squid (not sure from which version but I am very sure
it's main stream on all distros) already has support for multiple cache
directories so my suggestion (if you don't need LVM to extend or move
physical disks etc) is to make the disks normal mount points. The File
system that you use will have to be researched (ext4 vs xfs vs reseirfs
vs ...) but I have used ext3/4 with great success (at least enough for
me not to complain :) )

See http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BestOsForSquid at the bottom for File
Systems etc

The only one that *might* improve things is RAID0 but I can't really see
this as squid won't be writing *that* much (on a 100meg connection)

You can also read up on : http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/RAID

Cheers,

Pieter