Re: [squid-users] download caching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:10:35 +1200

On 09/08/11 19:57, Tarek Kilani wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 07:46, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 08/08/11 21:03, Tarek Kilani wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I wanted to know if it is possible to cache downloads when several users
>>> in my network want to download the same software from the internet,
>>> avoiding to clog up the bandwidth.
>>> Does somehow cache such downloads, or continues downloads that are being
>>> canceled?
>>>

>> Maybe. maybe, and maybe
>>
>> The answer to each of your questions above is determined by what
>> caching is permitted for the object, by the client request, by the
>> server sending it, and finally by your configuration settings.
>>
>> We need details about your actual problem to provide help.
>>
>> Amos
> Hi,
> what I'm actually looking for is to avoid downloading the firefox
> browser (for windows) for example over the internet over and over again.
> Or if I manually download any service packs for my windows clients, they
> should be downloaded only once truely from the internet. If such a
> download procedure happens again the client should get the cached download.
>

> Thank you in advance.

If you have squid 2.6 or 2.7 enable the collapsed_forwarding directive.

Nobody has shown any interest in helping to port it to 3.x series yet.
So its stuck on my TODO list behind hundreds of bug fixes.
  For now 3.x will download many copies in parallel until one complete
download finishes. Then cache and use that for any future clients.

If you have an older squid config you also likely have the default
patterns from the 90's when caching dynamic content was dangerous. Squid
versions 2.6 and later may need some updates:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent

Amos

--
Please be using