Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy causing viewstate MAC problems to IIS farm

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:01:57 +1200

 On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:50:25 -0700, TK (Icinga) wrote:
> Is there any way for a reverse proxy to work with an IIS farm using
> viewstate? I keep getting viewstate errors when trying to log into
> the .NET
> application using Squid. It works fine without Squid and with the
> application in a non-farm configuration.

 Huh? viewstate is internal to ASP.

 The only problem Squid might introduce is if ASP pushes it into the URL
 as a side effect of using a non-POST form method. Squid protects against
 buffer overflows and other related URL attacks like that by rejecting
 requests with URLs bigger than whatever the version string buffer size
 is. Usually 64KB.

 If you can its a great idea to use proper Cookies instead. viewstate is
 essentially a Cookie whose content is stored in a dangerous place, which
 can leak into other HTTP fields, including URLs.

 Amos