Re: [squid-users] Which NTLM helper are we supposed to use in 3.2?

From: Alex Crow <alex_at_nanogherkin.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:01:52 +0100

Amos,

> ntlm_smb_lm_auth is a simple renaming of the old Squid helper to avoid
> the confusion between the two. Still recommended to avoid when any
> type of security is needed.
>
> The Samba helper remains recommended. It supports NTLMv2 and the
> session security features.
>
> FWIW: The difference between the two is that Samba helper performs
> NTLMv1 or NTLMv2. The Squid one is actually performing the older SMB
> LM protocol that came before NT LM was invented. Thus the name.

Great, thanks for clearing that up.

>> I am asking this as since I have been testing with squid 3.2 I have
>> noticed some odd things related to auth and the external acl helper for
>> nt groups (ext_wbinfo_group_acl) in that every so often squid seems to
>> think I'm not in a group when I am - despite ext_wbinfo_group_acl
>> working fine when I send hundreds of requests a second to it.
>
> I think this effect is more related to the problems we are seeing with
> Squid-3.2 "loosing" credentials if they expire mid-way thorough the
> processing of a request.

Is there a Bugzilla bug for this? I looked but could only find 3145,
2936. Is one one those relevant?

Would you need some debug traces to confirm - my debug options are
currently:

debug_options ALL,2 82,9 84,9 27,9 28,9 29,9 73,9 74,9

Is that high enough?

Thanks

Alex