RE: [squid-users] [ADVISORY] SQUID-2011:2 Password truncation in NCSA using DES

From: Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:30:05 +0000

My honest opinion is that this is a totally unnecessary change. And a brutal one too.

What difference does it make if it is 8 chars or 888 chars? It is going plaintext over the wire.

For people having established systems, these functions are scattered everywhere -- in CGIs, PHPs, password changers, etc. It is not as easy as adding an "-m" to htpassword. I have to revise an entire platform for this to find out exactly where these are.

Wouldn't making this optional be a better solution? Or informing people to use an older ncsa_auth?

This change caused denial-of-service for many users in my system and it took 2 days to figure it out. People are not necessarily computer literates and they don't exactly point out what the problem is. They just say: "It is not working". It takes 20 emails back and forth and countless workhours to figure out what exactly is not working.

This one bit me very bad!

Jenny