Re: [squid-users] how to influence the generation of cached objects's key?

From: John Hardin <jhardin_at_impsec.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Raymond Wang wrote:

> that is, given the two url of "www.a.com/sale/someFunction.js" and
> "www.a.com/sale/someFunction.js", and the javascript (someFunction.js)
> files have the same content.
>
> with squid, can I "cut" the part before "someFunction.js" when the url
> is given to generate cached object's key?

How do those two URLs differ? Did you mean to do something else in your
example?

If you meant to change the path to the file in the second URL, which is
what the rest of your question implies: there is no guarantee that
someFunction.js actually has the same content at different URLs, so simply
dropping the path part of the URL to get just the filename is not
justified.

The only reliable way to do this would be to generate a MD5 or SHA1 hash
of the file's content, and make the cache a mapping of pointers from URLs
to unique content as well as having a cache of the content hashes. That's
probably a fairly major change.

  jhardin_at_impsec.org    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a jhardin_at_impsec.org
   Politicians never accuse you of "greed" for wanting other people's
   money, only for wanting to keep your own money.    -- Joseph Sobran
  265 days since the first successful private orbital launch (SpaceX)