Re: [squid-users] Session Tracking

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:53:45 +1200

On 16/09/11 01:36, Matt Cochran wrote:
> Thanks, Amos. I'm trying to apply different rules to different users
> coming from behind a firewall, i.e. so that the kids can go to only
> their sites and the adults to anywhere. I'd like to make it such that
> authentication can be handled by my own UI, and that authenticating
> one user doesn't change the permissions for another. I was looking at
> the session auth handler example in 3.2 and noted that it appeared to
> be using IP addresses to track users.

The documentation examples do since that is the most popular usage. It
will track anything you care to give it though. The "tracker" is the set
of % format tags used.

If session cookies used their own header we could trivially pass that
header to the session helper. But websites and apps like to push all
sorts of random garbage into the Cookie header. So processing to grab
out just the particular session ID is required.

> I'm just thinking through scenarios right now, so if I'm making a
> problem out of nothing please feel free to set me straight.

You seem to be heading down a useful track. We have not had many before
you though, and the others did not feed any helper code back to the
project yet for us all to share.

Amos

--
Please be using