RE: [squid-users] Squid 3.2.0.12 beta is available

From: Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 01:34:59 +0000

> Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:29:57 +1200
> From: squid3_at_treenet.co.nz
> To: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2.0.12 beta is available
>
> On 18/09/11 03:28, Jenny Lee wrote:
> >
> > "acl random" was the issue. Adding an explicit always_direct fixed it.
> > Jenny
>
> Aha. Thank you Fixed.

> >> From: bodycare_5
> >> Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:54:54 +0000
> >>

> >> Thank you for your hard work. Most of the squirks seem to be gone.
> >>
> >> Lots of: WARNING: always_direct resulted in 3. Username ACLs are not reliable here.
> >>
> >> Why don't we have IP address logged in cache log? It is diffult to find anything when you get a GB of debug log by the time you run a reconfigure and reset debug level.
>
> What do you mean by this? in what case(s) are we missing it?

I believe source IP must be part of every entry in cache log.

Let's take a look at the error above, for example. I have no idea who is or what is generating it. It talked about Username ACLs, however, "acl random" paired with source IP was causing this. No usernames.

I have to enable debug log. Send a configure to squid. This is a busy cache. By the time I return the debug level back to default and send a reconfigure to squid, I am left with 1GB of text to scavenge through to find out what our who was causing it.

It could have taken me 2 seconds to figure it out had it printed the source IP.

There are too many examples like this. Unparseable header, failed to select source, etc. Yes, some we might check from access log URLs. Some we might check from second. However, when you are having 500 reqs in that particular second, the job does not get easy.

Source IP would be useful to narrow down the issues.

> NP: Look for "local=$ip" or "remote=$ip".

That is what I am looking for, actually :)

Jenny