[squid-users] origin server status check before forwarding requests

From: Deepak Rao <deepak.rao.257_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:48:12 +0530

Hi,

I am using squid in reverse proxy mode. So far, we were using
cache_peer and cache_peer_access to forward the request to origin
server, and there were 2 origin servers configured for load balance
and HA. Squid checks the health of these origin servers before
forwarding the request to one i.e., if one of the origin server is
down, all the requests landed up on the 'live' server, thus ensuring
no request is failed.

Now, we have a requirement to rewrite the request url (and hostname in
the url) before forwarding the request to origin server. Hence, we are
using url_rewrite_program instead of cache_peer*. Is there a way to
achieve the 'health check and only then forward' feature inherent in
cache_peer configuration, in case of url_rewrite too?

Thanks,
Deepak