Re: [squid-users] Secure user authentication on a web proxy

From: Nikolaos Milas <nmilas_at_noa.gr>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:32:52 +0300

On 20/9/2011 9:56 πμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am setting up Squid to enable users to use it as a web proxy server.
>
> My problem is how to enable encrypted user authentication.

Please also note that I also tried using Squid + Stunnel to achieve
secure user authentication, according to these directions:
http://www.jeffyestrumskas.com/index.php/how-to-setup-a-secure-web-proxy-using-ssl-encryption-squid-caching-proxy-and-pam-authentication/
(except that I used ldap auth on the backend).

It worked, but performance was *very* slow (practically awful), and I
couldn't find any solution to improve performance. Squid without stunnel
worked like a breeze (but without secure/encrypted user authentication)...

I am using Centos 5.6 x86_64 with squid 3.1.8. I used stunnel 4.29
(installed from CentOS repos) and I also tried with stunnel 4.39
compiled from source.

In all cases, I couldn't overcome the problem, so I ruled out this solution.

I am hoping for your feedback.

Nick