Re: [squid-users] Secure user authentication on a web proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:21:51 +1200

 On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:15:29 +0300, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 20/9/2011 4:53 μμ, Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:

>> There are 3 more way and you shall evaluate what fits the best for
>> you.
>> a) you may use Kerberos auth, many browsers suppor it right now.
>> b) you may use NTLM2 auth, helper is available at samba package
>> c) you may relay secure auth with radius+https, after auth sucessful
>> with a browser that client ip shall surf
>>

> Thank you, Luis.
>
> So, the solution with certificates would not work? I read about it
> here:
>
> http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Client-Certificate-Authentication-td3353759.html
>
> Now that I re-read it (cause it's long), I come to the conclusion
> that certificate-authentication wouldn't/shouldn't work without SSL,
> so it seems stunnel (for example, or other similar solutions as
> discussed on that thread) would still be needed. Configuration
> details
> for certificate-based authentication would still be interesting, if
> available anywhere.

 Correct. The certificate is itself the secure "token" equivalent of
 password. SSL handshake is the auth process.

 In theory HTTP can support a certificate based auth scheme. However
 nobody has yet written any specifications describing one so no software
 support for it outside of SSL/TLS interactions.

> I guess I'll now try Squid with Kerberos auth...
>
> Nick

 Amos