Re: [squid-users] lost connection - reconnect automatically

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:10:55 +1300

 On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:26:27 +0100, J. Webster wrote:
> I have a squid service with ncsa user auth (login/password).
> We have one user who loses their internet connection intermittently
> and is continually being re-presented with the login prompt.
> Presumably, the server / browser thinks they have disconnected from
> the server and asks them to re-authenticate.
> Is there a way round this?

 That is a feature of the browser or whatever client app they are using.

 HTTP requires requests to be interpreted independently, so every single
 request has to be accompanied by credentials. Squid is not concerned
 with TCP level details like the fact they changed connections.

 NCSA uses a local database file for passwords. Which eliminates the
 problems of connection or timeout to any central server during the Squid
 auth test. Or any statefulness of the login such a central server might
 be doing.

 Amos