[squid-users] Carp issue - not balancing load properly

From: david robertson <dr_at_nevernet.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 20:45:24 -0400

Hello, I'm having a bit of an issue with CARP, specifically balancing the load.

I have 3 frontend servers that cache only to memory, and 2 backend
servers that cache only to disk (one aufs device, and one coss device
on each). The two backend servers are running on identical hardware,
and running an identical version of Squid (2.7.STABLE9). There's
nothing funky about the configs of either the backends, nor the
frontends.

The issue is that one backend server is always receiving exactly twice
the amount of traffic from the 3 frontend servers at all times.

Frontend cache_peer lines:
cache_peer 192.168.193.78 parent 4001 0 carp login=PASS name=backend no-digest
cache_peer 192.168.193.116 parent 4001 0 carp login=PASS name=backend2 no-digest

No matter what I try, the second server in the list (.116) gets twice
the traffic that .78 gets.

Output of the cluster stats, gathered from squidclient:

hostname hits/sec cacherate
squid 47 43%
squid2 39 34%
squid4 39 33%
                125 36%

squid3 42 25%
squid5 85 27%

(Yes, I know 125 hits/sec is low, but it's a low-traffic hour, and we
frequently get large bursts of traffic)

Any help would be much appreciated.