Re: [squid-users] Add top information to all webpages (like godaddy AD)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:29:19 +1300

 On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:50:24 +0100, Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Well, I'm no c/c++ skill'able
> guy :(
>
> The apache footer module was a good solution but, in this case I
> can't use it in combination with squid.
> I thought it may exist some
> easy way of doing this..
>
> Well, I'll keep searching to see if I can find anything.
>
> If somehow anyone knows something please tell me.

 Please consult a qualified lawyer familiar with technical copyrights
 and distribution laws before you consider altering anybody elses
 copyrighted content. The below is my unqualified knowledge about the
 area, but IANAL.

 I know that there are significant legal and moral problems in many
 countries and regions around the world. The idea of inserting banner ads
 is an attractive and nasty trap for the unwary.

 Hosting companies get away with it because the hosting contracts they
 have with their clients inherently assigns right of redistribution for
 the clients copyright material. Their servers are the authoritative
 creators of the version distributed including placement of page adverts.
 Even so, not even the free hosts get away without client push-back. So
 consider the situation very carefully.

 Squid being a relay does not generate content, therefore is not usually
 considered a creator and original source under copyright laws. And often
 has not contract or relationship with the distributing sources at all.

 If you are running a reverse-proxy type situation you can likely use
 the same contract agreements the hosting companies do with the ICAP/eCAP
 adapter methods others have mentioned. Check this with a lawyer!

 Also, remember that almost all web pages are stuffed to the rafters
 with adverts already and carefully designed by their authors to fit
 within certain styling and demographic requirements. Altering this in
 any way can seriously break sites. Web pages visible to users are also
 relatively small portion of web traffic, it can be a major problem
 simply identifying what can and can't be altered.

 Splash pages are fully supported by Squid and avoid all of these major
 problems. Along with the problem of user acceptance from the viewer end
 of the transaction. Splash page ads avoid the whole
 content-alteration/copyrights legal maze since you are not altering
 anything, but presenting wholly new content under some other copyright.
 The technical issues with processing pages to figure out whether, how
 and what to alter simply do not appear for obvious reasons.

 Amos