Re: [squid-users] WARNING: You should probably remove 'www.somewebsite.com' from the ACL named 'blacklist'

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 00:15:32 +1300

On 13/10/11 22:25, devadmin wrote:
> Amos, thanks for the response.
>
> there are no duplicates I have allready sorted and cleared any dupes
> there were. with cat and sed.
>
> here is a sample of the blacklist format im using
>
> ------------------
> www.example.com
> example.com
> ------------------
>
> Now I would not consider those "duplicates" because if I dont specify
> www.example.com they can still get into the site even if example.com is
> being blocked.
>
> Question, am i being silly by doing this? Can I simply use a wildcard
> instead?

Yes:

   .example.com

> Final statement:
>
> I got the errors before I added the second www listings to the file
> so It happens whether or not they are "duplicates"

Depends on your squid version what they detect. Some older Squid can
complain about the combo the wrong way around. Or detect example.com and
www.example.com overlap ignoring the absence of the wildcard. But the
warning only happens when one of the two is dropped.

> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 20:55 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 13/10/11 19:07, devadmin wrote:
>>> I have a blacklist of about 1 million domains when I reload squid I get
>>> about, a million of these error messages. Should I do something to
>>> correct this error message? because squid seems to be functioning
>>> just fine otherwise, it is indeed blocking the sites as I have
>>> configured it to do.
>>
>> The message already answers your question.
>>
>> To silence the warnings sort and de-duplicate the list before loading it
>> into Squid.

Amos

--
Please be using