RE: [squid-users] Is there any way to configure Squid to use local /etc/hosts in name resolution?

From: Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:58:34 +0000

> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:30:37 -0700
> From: dnwake_at_gmail.com
> To: bodycare_5_at_live.com
> CC: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] Is there any way to configure Squid to use local /etc/hosts in name resolution?
>
> Hi Jenny,
>
> Thanks very much for replying to my question. I'm a bit confused --
> are you saying that you don't see my problem on your Squid 3.2
> installation?
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf just reads
>
> search XXX
> nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

What about /etc/nsswitch.conf hosts line? Does it read: files dns?

DNS is a crucial part of squid and I doubt squid itself is not working in this respect.

What probably is happenning (since you tried a restart) is that you are retrieving the URL from your upstream parent. Try changing /etc/hosts in your parents (and restart them) and see if this resolves it. Or disable the parents and retest.

Jenny