[squid-users] Override Max File Descriptors on Windows

From: Ghassan Gharabli <sounarose_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:38:05 +0300

Hello,

I am looking for information might help me with your experience!

I have compiled Squid 2.7Stable9 on Windows using MinGW and Cygwin but
the thing I have already tried to avoid the file descriptors
limitation but with no luck anyway . The problem is MinGW is linking
with msvcrt.dll on Windows and I am being forced to get max fd as
2048 on Windows .. so Is there anyway I can compile Squid Under
something to override FD definitions! .

I spent few days searching for the source code of msvcrt.dll so I can
edit the max 2048 but still no luck . Does anyone know who can direct
me to someone who might get the source code of msvcrt.dll and that
would be the best idea to improve performance on Windows or else I
need to work on changing the Squid Windows I/O .

Something like replacing the use of the POSIX I/O interfaces in mysys
on Windows with the Win32 API calls (CreateFile, WriteFile, etc). All
that I know , the Windows API does not support opening files in append
mode in all cases.

My Question is .. Where should I start to find the functions related
to File Descriptors in your Squid Source Code and which Files are
responsible in your source code that are supposed to handle the FD ?

Im willing to start this project with my friends but need more
information to go for it.

Thank you

Ghassan.