Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.7 Access Logging

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:48:11 +1300

On 28/10/11 06:41, Nathan Hawk wrote:
> Markus,
> As far as I know, Squid doesn't rotate its log files. You can either
> write a script and set up a cron job or use logrotate
> (/etc/logrotate.conf) to do this. Here is a link to some logrotate
> examples you can look at:
> http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/07/logrotate-examples/
>
> Thanks,
> -nathan

Squid does rotate logs. Every time you run the command "squid -k
rotate". Up to the number of files logfile_rotate is configured to save.
  During that process it also compacts the cache journals which can suck
up disk space if not compacted regularly.

The popular distro packaged versions usually set the rotate to happen
via an external application like logrotate.d though. Which can also
perform compression and other management tasks easily.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.13