[squid-users] DNS handling different in 2.6 & 3.1 ?

From: <paul.osborne_at_canterbury.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:23:27 -0000

Hi,

I have just upgraded the squid proxies from 2.6 on RH el5 to 3.1.14
Debian at my site and have noticed that for some sites
(update.ucas.co.uk as an example) fails to load with what appears to be
DNS timeouts due to NXDOMAIN and then trying to find the entry through
our local DNS search paths (correctly I admit).

Investigation demonstrates that the DNS query is getting NXDOMAIN back
from the DNS query along with an IP address, this applies to both the
old and new proxies and so from a certain point of view is not an issue.

However what I would like to be able to do is get squid 3.1 to ignore
the NXDOMAIN (yes I know it is a risk) in the same way that 2.6 appears
to do so, I understand that 3.1 and 2.6 have some differences in the way
that DNS is handled probably for the good over all but at the moment
this is causing me issues.

Ultimately I am aware that this is a DNS issue that needs to be resolved
at the remote site yet at the same time I am under pressure for business
reasons to ensure the site is accessible and also to take down my old
proxies which are currently still up with a kludge in WPAD to force
these sites through the old proxies.

Thoughts on how I can ensure that stuff works locally would be much
appreciated.

Thanks

Paul