Re: [squid-users] Log file roll over Issues

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:19:40 +1300

On 8/11/2011 11:00 p.m., Justin Lawler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're having issues with log file roll over in squid - when squid is under heavy load and the log files are very big, triggering a log file roll over (squid -k rotate) makes squid unresponsive, and has to be killed manually with a kill -9.

Unresponsive for how long?

Rotating logs involves pausing all other operations (ie is a synchronous
blocking operation) while it moving the log files, new logs opened,
dumps the cache index to a new journal file, new helper started and
existign ones scheduled for gracefule close, then general operations are
resumed.

The cache journal handling, or the disk I/O for move+create of new logs
may be the holdup. Possibly if you have a lot of RAM allocated the
helper forks could take a while as well. If you can use the strace tool
to figure out what Squid is doing it would help.

> Has this ever been seen before?

IIRC non-responsive has not been mentioned in relation to rotate before.
CPU consumption and RAM OOM crashes are the common reports.

Amos