Re: [squid-users] Log file roll over Issues

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:06:16 +1300

On 8/11/2011 11:48 p.m., Jenny Lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're having issues with log file roll over in squid - when squid is under heavy load and the log files are very big, triggering a log file roll over (squid -k rotate) makes squid unresponsive, and has to be killed manually with a kill -9.
> You would be better off moving the log files aside, sending squid a reconfigure and working on the log files later so that you do not block squid.
>
> That is what I do for access.log:
>
> mv /squid/logs/access.log /squid/logs/access.log.bak
> /squid/squid -k reconfigure
> gzip /squid/logs/access.log.bak
>
> Jenny

Reconfigure is a lot more intrusive to the traffic than rotate. Since it
involves reloading teh config files and closing server ports for a while.

You can do the same sequence as move+rotate+gzip using logfile_rotate
directive n Squid set to '0'. In fact that is exactly what the
third-party logrotate.d system and others do.

Amos