Re: [squid-users] squid compilation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:44:58 +1300

 On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:33:12 +0000, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 23:12 +0530, Benjamin wrote:

>> do i
>> should i
>> > You're normally best using the one provided with your distro,
>> unless
>> > there are specific features you need from a later version.

>> from
>> > Try the one from the distro first and see if it meets your
>> requirements.

>> cache
>> feature ?
>> > I don't know, but others will be able to advise, or you can check
>> the
>> > list archives.

>> have
>> compilation
>> > ./configure --help
>> >
>> > Andy
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your kind response.If i do not want any authentication
>> module
>> from squid and when i install squid from distro rpm that time i
>> have
>> that authentication module by default enabled so in that case, does
>> it
>> impact on performance.
>
> Well if you've not configured any authentication in squid.conf then I
> imagine that the impact will be minimal.
>
>> Actually we need squid for forward proxy and cache gain only.
>>

> I'm sure you could tune Squid for your particular use, but I'm afraid
> don't know exactly how much difference that will make.

 From others reports over the last year it seems possible to get a gain
 of 5%-10% over the default settings when doing site specific tuning. The
 more policies and control logics you add to the config the slower Squid
 goes. So most of the optimization efforts I and others tend to talk
 about here are aimed towards getting complex configs to work without
 degrading the default performance.

 The #1 bottleneck in caching is disk I/O. Performance gains in this
 area are usually down to the type, size and write speed of the hardware,
 since Squid constantly does a lot of writes randomly across the disk.
 Benchmarks and measurements by hardware people are the areas to look at
 there.

 The #2 bottlneck is ACL processing and configuration complexity.
 Naturally the more config you have the slower Squid appears as it
 processes each request through all that logic.

 The other bottleneck points are all down to the code optimizations and
 the local HTTP traffic behaviours. Test, measure, tune are the bywords
 there.

 Amos