Re: [squid-users] missing username in squid log

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:12:02 +1300

 On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:35:13 +0100, Giovanni Rosini wrote:
> Pherhaps i wasn't clear.
> I know how sql queries work, i'm able to write down a select query,
> this is not the question.
> What i mean is that, looking at the actual access.log file, it seems
> squid hasn't enough details to filter RADACCT table and extract the
> right record.

 The logged details are not the complete set of data available to Squid.
 It is a small subset which has been found to be useful for logging, and
 log analyser graphs for management people.

 What I am talking about has been the external_acl_type helper. Which
 currently has an almost completely different set of format parameters:
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/external_acl_type/

> I think that the only way is having somewhere in squid files both nat
> ip and local ip, as in RADACCT records.
> For the duration of each session nat ip+local ip are associated
> uniquely to one username.
> Comparing date and time i could extract a unique record.

 External ACL have:
   * %SRC %SRCPORT for client IP:port (before the local squid box SNAT,
 if any. After remote box SNAT).

   * %MYADDR %MYPORT for squid local IP:port (before local Squid box
 DNAT, if any. After remote box DNAT).
    ** With iptables REDIRECT %MYADDR is unreliable.

   * time 'now' can be identified by the helper without being passed in
 from Squid.

 If you bump up to 3.2.0.8 you can also get the MAC / EUI addresses for
 more reliable source tracing. But in your case with remote boxes doing
 relays this will only link which of those boxes it came through (subnet
 separation?).

 Amos