Re: [squid-users] squid proxy configuration to convert HTTP to HTTPS

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:07:27 +1300

On 15/11/2011 12:01 a.m., Deepak Rao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement in which I would like to convert a HTTP request
> (going via squid proxy) to be converted into HTTPS - thus squid proxy
> can handle the ssl handshake and any mutual certificate validations.
>
> To elaborate:
> - I have a application which tries to contact an external website (abcdef.com)
> - The request goes via squid proxy (port 3128)
> - If I can have a configuration is squid proxy which checks for
> external hostname (abcdef) and to such requests, it converts the
> requests into an HTTPS call.
> - Now the external website abcdef.com's ssl handshake is handled by
> squid proxy, which also decrypts the response& the decrypted response
> is given back to my application.
>
> Is this possible in squid proxy?

Maybe.

If you really do mean only one website (or a small number), then you can
do it with a cache_peer link exactly like you would a reverse-proxy config:
     cache_peer abcdef.com parent 443 0 originserver ssl no-query
     acl abc dstdomain abcdef.com
     cache_peer_access abcdef.com allow abc

If you need it for many or variable sites (ie every website). Then no.
Squid needs to be configured explicitly to add SSL wrapping
per-destination.

Amos