Re: [squid-users] Re: How can I get Squid to use more memory?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 13:17:48 +1300

On 19/11/2011 12:41 p.m., RW wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:38:03 +1300
> Amos Jeffries wrote:
>

>> * your squid might be an older one which does not promote disk
>> objects back into memory when they get hot/popular again. In those
>> release once an object gets less popular it gets sent to the disk
>> cache,
> Are you saying that new objects are not written to disk until they
> expire from the memory cache? The implication would presumably be that
> some objects are lost when squid shuts down.

Yes. There is some time spent saving as many as possible to disk during
the shutdown_timeout, but this rarely gets it all due to being
configured too short.

Consider though that caching is an entirely optional to start with.
Things in the cache can be re-fetched as needed from the network. So
there is no actual loss.

Amos