[squid-users] memory utilization

From: benjamin fernandis <benjo11111_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:03:23 +0530

Hi All,

I configured squid box to get good cache performance and for that i
set cache_mem and object size in cache.

cat /etc/squid/squid.conf | grep cache_mem
cache_mem 6144 MB

cat /etc/squid/squid.conf | grep -i maximum_object_size_in_memory
maximum_object_size_in_memory 1 MB

And whenever i check memory usage at OS level while squid is serving
to traffic. it shows me

free -mto
             total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7995 345 7650 0 30 78
Swap: 8999 0 8999
Total: 16995 345 16650

So as per my squid setup i set 6GB , So why free -mto showing me that
only 345 mb is used and 7650 mb is free.

As per my understanding , if i assign 6GB RAM to squid then 6GB will
be deducted from my actual memory and then OS has that remaining
amount of memory.

My perception is right ?

What is the purpose of --enable-async-io option in squid?

i read on internet that it enable more performance while using more
thread with that option

is it correct information which i have ?

My squid version is Squid Cache: Version 3.1.15

i used squid rpm which i have from my fedora 15 64 bit os in that i
can't have that option is enabled

so this option is really useful for better performance in high network traffic ?

Regards,
Benjamin