Re: [squid-users] Content Filtering

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:56:23 +1300

 On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:21:58 -0500, Roman Gelfand wrote:
> Can somebody recommend an opensource content filtering software that
> works with SQUID.
>
> What I mean by content filtering is...
>
> 1. Block pages based on words or word patterns like regular
> expressions.

 Lol. That battle is never ending. Lookup the problems Disney had
 blocking the "furry woodland rabbit meets long necked giraffe" and
 similar "adult only" content from their childrens forums. Then apply it
 to the entire Web.

> 2. Block pages based on type image, etc...
>
> Thanks in advance

 Basically, take your pick of content HTTP filters.

 They just about all support either inline HTTP proxy+filter or ICAP
 filter service. The ones that don't you should stay away from. But they
 tend not to be any "good" to start with.
 ICAP is the new protocol on the scene and can be tuned to reduce the
 traffic impact of having another service in the relay process. So
 filters supporting that are more likely to show better performance.
 Simply processing the page *will* slow the whole transaction down a lot
 though, so be prepared for that.

 Amos