Re: [squid-users] How to set the IP of the real originator in HTTP requests (instead of Squid's IP)?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:28:26 +1300

 On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:35:20 +0100, Leonardo wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have a Cisco ASA firewall between our internal network and the
> Internet. Our Squid transparent proxy (v3.1.7) is just behind the
> firewall.
>
> Our problem concerns IP address translation from private to public.
> Specifically, we would like that clients go out on the Web with a
> public IP address which depends on the subnet the client is in.
> However, we can't differentiate the addresses as the Cisco ASA sees
> only the IP private address of the Squid as originator of all HTTP
> requests.

 That would be because it is the originator of those TCP connections.

> I haven't set the directive forwarded_for in my Squid config, which
> should mean that, by default, the real originator is passed in a
> X-Forwarded-For header.
>
> I'd like to know if there is something else that can be done on the
> Squid side, or if now I need to work solely on the config of the
> Cisco
> ASA (as I believe).

 What you are asking about is TPROXY. Which makes Squid appear to be the
 client. Complicating your ASA configuration as it attempts to figure out
 which traffic goes to Squid and which directly to the clients.

 There are several alternative approaches you will want to consider
 which avoid the complexity and troubles TPROXY IP spoofing adds to the
 network.

 First among these is tcp_outgoing_address to perform the outgoing
 address selection in Squid based on src ACL for each subnet. You can
 emit from Squid either the public IP for that client subnet (so the ASA
 does not have to change anything). Or an IP reserved for Squid within
 each subnet and leave the ASA config as-is.

 Secondly you can use tcp_outgoing_tos on the same ACL criteria as
 above. With a TOS value per subnet for the ASA to perform routing and
 NAT decisions on. This does mean some changes to ASA to work with the
 TOS.

 Amos