Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.1.x and right configuration parameters for tmpfs 8GB

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:15:59 +1300

On 2/12/2011 5:13 a.m., Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 01.12.11 15:05, Josef Karliak wrote:
>> I wanna use tmpfs for squid cache, is 8GB enough or too big ? We've
>> about 3000 computers behind squid, for OS is 16GB sufficient, that's
>> why I used 8GB for squid tmpfs.
>
> what is the point of using tmpfs as squid cache? I think using only
> memory cache would be much more efficient (unless you are running
> 32-bit squid).

Yes, consider the purpose of why a disk cache is better than RAM cache:
objects are not erased when Squid or the system restarts.

==> tmpfs data is erased when Squid or the system restarts. So why bother?

All you gain from tmpfs is a drop in speed accessing the data, from RAM
speeds down to the Disk speeds. Whether it is SSD or HDD that is slower
than RAM.

Amos