[squid-users] Slow TCP_HITs

From: RW <rwmaillists_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:14:20 +0000

I'm using squid-3.1.16 on FreeBSD 8.2/amd64 running on localhost. I've
noticed that some TCP_HITs are loading very slowly. I've tested this in
Opera, Firefox, wget and fetch. Normal TCP_HITs are too fast for wget to
meter, but the slows ones are 2kB/s to 30kB/s, mostly around 5kB/s.

It's a bit awkward to debug because restarting squid can re-randomize
which urls are slow. I've tried rebuilding the port with default options
and paring-down squid.conf to a bare minimum. The only thing that seems
to make a difference is the cache type. I've seen it happen with aufs
and diskd, but since I switched to plain ufs, I haven't seen a single
slow TCP_HIT.