Re: [squid-users] Make Squid in interception mode completely

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:52:54 +1300

 On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:05:27 +0700, Nguyen Hai Nam wrote:
> Hi Edmonds,
>
> That's really like my setup right now. But, as Amos said, the traffic
> just pass from eth0 to eth1 but don't come to Squid, because it's
> bridged. Actually, when watching IP nat table, I still found some nat
> rules show up, but at client-side it still looks direct access. And
> more strange, if I use an other linux box from LAN to check out by
> curl -I http://something.com/ it's returned the header fields that
> has
> "Via: 1.1 (squid 3.2)". I have no idea why.

 Hold up. This sounds like it actually *is* working. Possibly you just
 have some rule that works for one client or subnet but not another.

 From the client it *does* look like direct access. This is IMO why
 people seems to confuse it with transparent proxy. Only with intercept
 the server sees the Squid IP as the source.

 With a bridging box there are four components that have to be
 configured properly:
  - bridging rules (on Linux ebtables) must DROP the packets off the
 bridge logic as they go through the bridge machine (ie they enter the
 machine and *do not* get bridged, they must stay local to that box).
  - NAT rules, to pass the packets to Squid *after* they are 'dropped'
 off of the bridge logic.
  - routing rules, to properly route the squid outbound packets to the
 network gateway (and back).
  - firewall & security limits, to permit any LAN packets to be handled
 by the bridge box locally. Also to permit the squid<->server traffic
 in/out.

 You will notice these are all the same requirements (and configuration)
 as required for a routing box but with ebtables/bridging added on top.

 Amos